Tuesday, August 25, 2020

NECA GODZILLA 1989 | Figure Review


In August of 2014, NECA released their first 'Classic Godzilla' figure. While labeled as the 1994 Godzilla, it was mostly seen as an overall representation of the Heisei Godzilla. 
While I don't think that figure was perfect, I'm willing to forgive its faults as NECA was just starting to make Godzilla figures and as time passed, it was to be expected that future releases would improve overtime.
Case in point:


This new figure based on the 1989 "BioGoji" suit is amazing and has exceeded most of my expectations! 

From the initial reveal I had a few reservations. While the 89 Godzilla is known for being quite the chonky boy, there seemed to be too much emphasize on the hips. But at this point I think we should all be used to the reveal pictures not always being the final representations of the figures.
Upon having this figure in my possession, I can say that the sculpt is damn near perfect. Godzilla is still a big boy, but he retains the more lean, muscular look seen in the earlier Heisei films.


The head was another thing I was a bit concerned with. The rounded head in the promo pictures looked a little too accentuated. It's not too bad. 
The head looks amazing, I'm especially impressed by the snout and the teeth. Unfortunately, the eyes are a bit misaligned. 


The rest of Godzilla's body is pretty much on point, the skin texture is on point and the paint looks well done.


The Dorsal Fins on the back are a pretty good size and I love the paint work. The small outer rows could have been a bit bigger though...




One of the problems I've had with most NECA Godzilla's was that the tails didn't seem to be long enough and lacked the necessary articulation needed. Thankfully, with their later releases, the tail issue seems to have been solved. But those were mostly Showa figures, for a Heisei figure, you need a big, long tail.THIS. TAIL. IS FANTASTIC!!! The length is perfect (close to 11.5 inches), the proportions are perfect and the detail and paint is great. I love everything about this tail!

This BioGoji's articulation is as follows:
The Head can look up, down and rotate. The mouth can open pretty wide. The neck can move forward/backward, tilt side to side and rotate. 
Arms can rotate and move in/out at the shoulders, bend/rotate at the elbow. The hands can rotate and bend at the wrists. The fingers have a hinge joint that allows them to open and close.
The torso can rotate, move forward/backward and tilt side to side.
Legs rotate at the hips, which allows for some forward/backward movement and can move in and out. The knees can bend and rotate. The feet can rotate and pivot.

The tail is made of 7 segments with a bendy wire piece at the end. Each segment can hold a nice variety of poses, although my bendy wire piece isn't quite as good.
You also cant really lay the tail out completely flat, this tail was clearly designed to stand up and curve.


This figure comes with an Atomic Breath piece. It's a very nicely painted and sculpted blue Spiral Heat Ray.
That's right, contrary to popular belief, the Spiral Heat Ray started as blue and was first used to decapitate King Ghidorah's middle head.




The piece pegs into the mouth and holds it's position so that you don't need a stand.

This figure stands a little over 6.5 inches.






Any slight worries I had about this figure were instantly crushed when I first got it. I absolutely love this figure and I believe it completely blows away the original NECA Heisei Godzilla figure. People who like to customize figures could even make a sick looking Burning Godzilla from this figure. Overall, I can give this NECA Godzilla 1989 one of my HIGHEST recommendation. 
NECA has seriously outdone themselves here and I can't wait to see what they do ne-



Oh...



Till next time, I have been your host Gryphon
and thank you for joining me here in my lair.
So long...


I hope you have enjoyed reading this and if you would like to see more from The Gryphon's Lair, be sure to give my Facebook page a 'LIKE' to see updates and other related stuff. 
Thanks for reading!

https://www.facebook.com/TheGryphonsLair/

No comments:

Post a Comment

HIYA TOYS MUTO (Female) | Figure Review

When I collect Godzilla figures, I like to have complete sets of characters from the movies I love the most. Back when the 2014 Godzilla fil...