Friday, August 21, 2020

Lets Look At: SH MONSTERARTS GODZILLA 2019 (ART OF TRISTA STUDIOS Version)


I'm pretty sure we all know that the SHMA GODZILLA 2019, is a great figure right? Well, I have a bit of a confession to make: the first SHMA Godzilla 2019 figure I ordered was not perfect. One of the eyes was sunken in and so I made the decision to try and find a replacement. Eventually, I found another figure for a shockingly decent price at an anime convention. I made absolutely certain that the problem with the eye on my first figure was not present on this one. 
What I would do with the first figure was still to be determined at the time...

Part of me wanted to sell it for a lower price noting the eye problem, but in the back of my mind I thought about maybe painting it and making it look like an Atomic Blast version, complete with glowing eyes. 


Unfortunately, by the time the official Atomic Blast or "Poster version" came out I was unable to obtain it. I missed the pre-order window and there was no way I was going to pay outrageous aftermarket prices.
So, what does a man do when he misses out on an exclusive SH MonsterArts figure that happens to be a repaint of an existing figure?
Well, he could reach out to one of his very good friends who happens to be an EXTREMELY talented artist and have her modify the extra figure he just so happens to own. That is where Trista comes in.

Trista Morris is an artist based in Keller, TX who is pretty much a jack of all trades when it comes to painting on any surface you could think of. 







I've commissioned Trista for several pieces before but nothing like this. But I believed in her abilities and she assured me she could do the job with a few extra bells and whistles.
From the back of the neck to the tip of the tail, the figure has been coated with 3 coats of blue and white paint.
The Dorsal Fins are especially impressive with their paint work.
The paint brilliantly gives the impression that Godzilla is powering up to fire off the biggest Atomic Breath he's ever fired in his million year existence. 

Other painted areas include parts of the arms and hips. As well as inside Godzilla's mouth and eyes. Now I don't have to worry about the eyes looking uneven.

But the best thing about this figure?

It glows in the dark!


After being placed by an open window or desk lamp for about 20 minutes, you get this very nice glow effect. It's also black light reactive. I didn't initially ask for this, this is something Trista herself offered to do. I said if she could do it then go for it, and she delivered!




Needless to say I am very pleased with this figure. I want to thank Trista very much for doing this for me as well as providing pictures for this review, this figure will have a very special place in my collection.


I enjoy trying different things when it comes to my artwork...It was a very interesting experience and I actually enjoyed it a lot. I did not know what to expect when I started it, but the end result was awesome!

-Trista Morris


If you'd like to have your figures customized a certain way or any other piece of artwork done for you, please consider commissioning Trista. It would certainly help her out in these uncertain times.
Check out her websites below:
http://artoftristastudios.com/
https://www.facebook.com/ArtofTrista




Till next time, I have been your host Gryphon
and thank you for joining me here in my lair.
So long...


I hope you have enjoyed reading this and if you would like to see more from The Gryphon's Lair, be sure to give my Facebook page a 'LIKE' to see updates and other related stuff. 
Thanks for reading!

https://www.facebook.com/TheGryphonsLair/

No comments:

Post a Comment

HIYA TOYS MUTO (Female) | Figure Review

When I collect Godzilla figures, I like to have complete sets of characters from the movies I love the most. Back when the 2014 Godzilla fil...