Monday, October 7, 2024

HIYA TOYS MUTO (Female) | Figure Review

When I collect Godzilla figures, I like to have complete sets of characters from the movies I love the most. Back when the 2014 Godzilla film was new and the merch was becoming more readily available in stores, I had to get my hands on as much as I could. By far my favorite figures came from NECA, their 2014 figure was a knockout to me and I was anticipating more, including Godzilla's opponents from the film. Months turned to years and the Muto's were nowhere to be seen. 
NECA wouldn't do it, seeming to only favor figures of the Big G himself.
Bandai made smaller and less detailed plastic Muto's, but seemed to scared to introduce them into their SH MonsterArts line, save for a severed head. The Muto's have been my most wanted SH MonsterArts figures for a long time and after a while, it seemed like I wouldn't get my wish for SOMEONE to make detailed, articulated figures of these unique creatures.

And then Hiya entered the scene and was like: "Fine, I'll do it myself"
At least, the female one for starters. 
Out of the box, this figure looks very impressive. 
Hiya appears to have knocked it out of the park when it comes to the sculpt of the Female Muto.
The texture work all over her body looks incredible and is accentuated nicely with the various weathered coats of black and grey paint with a nicely applied red streak for her eyes. 
Muto has a great head sculpt with an appropriately sharp looking beak. One nice touch that I love is when the mouth is open, her tongue looks like it's sticking out during a roar. To me, she looks plenty fierce whether her mouth is open or closed. 
Luckily, the Muto's don't have traditional monster claws, so no need to worry about paint bleeding over the fingers.
On her belly you can see what appears to be her egg pouch. Despite it not all glowy, it's still nicely detailed. 

Before we get to articulation, I'd like to point out that my figure came out of the box with the majority of it's joints super stiff. If yours is like this, it might be time to whip out the handy hair dryer to get them nice and loose. Carefully, of course.  
Muto's head doesn't offer much movement other then being able to move up/down and an opening mouth. 
I do like how the back is sculpted so when her head moves up, the back looks folded up.

Both of her front and mid forearms can fully rotate at the body (
provided you maneuver the other arms accordingly.) the front arms can move in/out somewhat, not too much and the mid forward can move forward/backward. Both sets of arms can bend and rotate at 2 sperate points and her little hooked feets can bend forward/backward and rotate. 

Muto also has a set of smaller arms beneath her forearms that can move forward/backward and in/out at the body while her hooked appendages can bend forward and rotate freely. 

The body of the Muto can be moved forward/backward and we even get rotation at the waist.

Her legs can make a full rotation and slightly move in/out at the hip. You once again get 2 points where you can bend and rotate her legs and her hooves can only bend at the ankles. 

The Muto's have a weird anatomy, I know, but I think her possibility is still really good. 

No accessories for Momma Muto.

This has been a dream figure of mine for years and I would say Hiya Toys has met my expectations. 
In my opinion, at least when it comes to MonsterVerse figures, Hiya Toys is definitely the superior company.
Now we just need her mate and the 2014 Godzilla coming out soon, and I'll finally have the set I've been wanting for a long time. 


Till next time, I have been your host Gryphon
and thank you for joining me here in my lair.
So long...


I hope you have enjoyed reading this and if you would like to see more from The Gryphon's Lair, be sure to give my Facebook page a 'LIKE' to see updates and other related stuff. 
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

HIYA TOYS MUTO (Female) | Figure Review

When I collect Godzilla figures, I like to have complete sets of characters from the movies I love the most. Back when the 2014 Godzilla fil...