Monday, May 24, 2021

PLAYMATES TOYS JET JAGUAR 6.5" | Figure Review


Playmates has made a surprising move recently, new figures not suspiciously based on previously released figures from other brands. The first figure that caught my eye was a Burning Godzilla. It had a pretty good sculpt and nice details in general, but the paint was lacking. Specifically on the burning patches. Needless to say, I wasn't too keen on adding that figure to my collection. 
The other figure however looked amazing and I was even more overjoyed to see that it was a character who doesn't get much exposure in terms of toys here in the United States, Jet Jaguar.

The overall sculpt of this figure is great.
All of Jet Jaguar's finer details are also looking good, the chest, the waist emblem, elbow pads, knee pads and even his shoes are looking good. 

I also like the spine flap on the back. 
(And I have no idea what that smudgy dent on the back of the head is.)

It is my belief that if the head on a figure doesn't look good then the quality of the entire figure falls apart, something Playmates is quite infamous for. Luckily this Jet Jaguar's head looks fantastic! I love how the lining and the rivets stand out. The antenna don't look too bad either.
This sculpt captures Jet Jaguar's Jack Nicholson grin to a tee and if you look closely at his pretty blue eyes, you can see circles embedded in them.

If you're going to make a figure of Jet Jaguar, putting him in a fight pose is always a plus. Unfortunately, that's where this figure's one big flaw comes into play. It can't stand up.
Jet Jaguar's pose both helps and hurts the figure as the weight or lack thereof above the waist cannot be supported by the way the legs are spread out. And I've tried to make it work, but as of now, only a figure stand or leaning it against another figure could keep this robot standing. 

The paint on Jet Jaguar is pretty spot on. Hardly any coloring outside the lines. Although I noticed that without the right lighting, the colors themselves might look a little washed out for some peoples tastes. I feel like I'm looking at Zack Snyder's Jet Jaguar. The only paint that I feel could have been brighter is the blue, from a distance it sort of blends into the silver on the legs.

Jet Jaguars articulation only consists of a rotating head, arms and waist.




This is a great figure and I love it, but I feel like the fact that it wont stand properly could potentially hurt it's chances of being added to peoples collection. Especially if when trying to adjust its stance you end up breaking off one of the legs
Like I did...  

So I guess if you're feeling lucky I guess go ahead and hunt this figure down. Or just hold out for the Movie Monster Series figure to come back in stock. 
Speaking of which anyone else looking forward to that new Megalon figure?



Till next time, I have been your host Gryphon
and thank you for joining me here in my lair.
So long...


I hope you have enjoyed reading this and if you would like to see more from The Gryphon's Lair, be sure to give my Facebook page a 'LIKE' to see updates and other related stuff. 
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SH MONSTERARTS GODZILLA (1972) | Figure Review

With so many anniversaries of the Showa Era films coming up in recent years, it makes me giddy seeing Tamashii Nations putting effort into m...