Sunday, June 16, 2019

NECA MOTHRA 2019 & V2 "Poster Version" | Figure Review


I can't begin to describe my excitement when I found out that NECA had been thrown a bone and given permission to produce more figures in their Godzilla line that weren't Godzilla. And who better to start with then the Queen of the Monsters herself?

Mothra has the most radical redesign out of the main four Titans. Godzilla may have gotten bigger, but Mothra got smaller. You've probably seen pictures of this figure online and they make Mothra look bigger than she actually is. From head to abdomen her body measures just under 1.5 inches. She's only a little bit bigger than an actual Moth!!!
Actually, I like that about this figure and it does fit in accurate scale with Godzilla.
Despite being so small, the sculpt and paint on Mothra is pretty good. Her head details are minimal and I feel like NECA could have added a bit more black for the mouth, but I still think it looks nice. Let's be real here, at this scale, fur would be difficult to sculpt. Plus, I'm surprised her eyes look as good as they do. Her antenna are sculpted into the back of her head, which was probably the only way they could be added without having them stick out and risk getting damaged.
The rest of her body is very nice, the legs are painted very well and the abdomen has a nice sculpt. As I said before, I feel like I'm looking at an actual insect.
Mothra's wings are absolutely what will grab most peoples attention. Her wingspan is about 12.5 inches and the wings themselves look beautiful, an awesome update to the original design. The patterns don't exactly match, but I didn't expect them to, honestly.
Part of the wings are made from a translucent plastic which looks really cool when hit with light.
Articulation on Mothra is very minimal.

4 of her legs can move forward and backward. And should they pop off while doing so, it should be no problem to reattach them.

And her wings can move up and down as much as I show in the pictures. They cannot rotate at the joints, I tried (very carefully, mind you) to twist them and they would not go. And I don't recommend you try either.

Mothra comes with a flight stand. In order to get her on it, you'll have to wedge her waist into the gap on top of the stand like how I'm showing in the pictures I've included.
Once you have her in, Mothra stays in place. I do wish we had gotten more of an adjustable rod to get some really dynamic poses for Mothra.
 The base of the stand is nice though.






She may be quite smol, but NECA'S 2019 Mothra is a big surprise. Another great release in their King of the Monsters line. I really think NECA should release another Mothra figure with her wings painted blue to imitate her hatching scene. Maybe that one will come with a larva this time.


UPDATE - September 9, 2019

NECA MOTHRA 2019 V2 ("Poster Version")



While I'd love to give myself bragging rights for predicting this figure, it was pretty much an inevitable release. 
Still no larva though...



This Mothra figure is based on both her character poster and her hatching scene in 2019's 'Godzilla: King of the Monsters' and while it captures that appearance very nicely, it also makes Mothra look a lot more edgier than usual. Just sayin', I can't look at this figure and not hear a heavy metal version of Yuji Koseki's theme playing. 
Or maybe Evanescence.
I especially love how the eyes stand out. 
V2 Mothra retains the translucent plastic from the first release and look great with the right lighting. 

The joints on this figures wings seem to be tighter than the original figure. 

The included base is pretty much the same as the first Mothra figure, however the egg is in a different position and features a darker paint scheme. 





Overall, I think this figure is a fantastic companion piece to the original Mothra figure and a welcome addition to any King of the Monsters figure collection. 



Till next time, I have been your host Gryphon
and thank you for joining me here in my lair.
So long...



I hope you have enjoyed reading this and if you would like to see more from The Gryphon's Lair, be sure to give my Facebook page a 'LIKE' to see updates and other related stuff. 
Thanks for reading!


https://www.facebook.com/TheGryphonsLair/

No comments:

Post a Comment

SH MONSTERARTS RED-EYES BLACK DRAGON | Figure Review

On June 15, 2023, Tamashii Nations announced a new series would be added to the SHMA line, with a teaser image showing a very distinct backg...