Monday, September 18, 2023

HIYA TOYS GODZILLA (2019) | Figure Review

Quite a bit happened during my absence from writing blogs.
One such occurrence was the emergence of a new company making MonsterVerse Godzilla figures, the China based Hiya Toys. Boy howdy, let me tell you there was quite a bit of drama surrounding their first Godzilla figure. In nearly every Godzilla Facebook group I'm in (Hi guys!), it's endless war/debate over the quality of those figures vs the SH MonsterArts ones. 
Debates that I myself had no say in. 
Picture taken from JobbytheHong's review.
The figure in question looked good in promotion, but had it's share of shortcomings in hand, including exposed joints on it's neck.
It's because of this that I ended up not purchasing one for myself. Thus it made me weary of future figures including Kong, Mothra and Rodan. Even if I wanted to make any sort of judgements, getting hands on these figures became difficult as US retailers suddenly sold out and Hiya became unwilling to stock figures outside of their home country. 
Then the scalpers struck...

Needless to say, I was beginning to think the chances of me ever making a Hiya Toys figure review were slim to none.
But only recently has Hiya taken notes that people in the US actually want their figures and took actions to make them more accessible than before. 
Which brings us to now.
Despite only having one of them, the best way I could describe the Hiya Toy is NECA 2: Electric Boogaloo.
Most of the old NECA Godzilla figures had terrific sculpts that look like they were ripped straight from the films. But where the NECA 2019 Godzilla left a lot to be desired, Hiya's figure exceeds expectations!
Godzilla is sculpted amazingly, from head to tail it appears no detail was overlooked. 
This figure is slightly larger than past articulated 2019 Godzilla figures, it is hefty and has some fair weight to it. I could chuck this thing like a baseball and it could very well break several windows if not the figure itself and I'll have wasted $50 bucks.
But I'm getting off topic here...
The head has a ton of excellent details. The eyes look good, I just wish there could have been better paint around them to make them more noticeable. The inside of the mouth is exceptional in my opinion. 
Godzilla's teeth don't look completely lazy, but why didn't they paint them? That's probably the most distracting thing about his figure.
The rest of Godzilla's body also looks fantastic overall and I even appreciate the tan paint used to accentuate the details against his dark grey body. It's a color choice that is actually film accurate and not just added color for a bit of artistic license. *cough* 


Godzilla's dorsal fins look good as always, just don't be surprised if some of the fins become bent due to the packaging. It should be an easy fix though.

Hiya's Godzilla has a pretty good range of movement. It's like if they took the best attributes of NECA and SH MonsterArts figures. 
While the figure is made of hard plastic, the neck pieces are made of a soft rubber allowing it to look  up for a victory roar, looking down is not as possible. The head and neck can turn left/right and tilt side to side. 
Moving the neck can expose the figures joints breaking the immersion, but you can fiddle with the neck parts enough to where it'll cover them up and not look as noticeable. A luxury the first Hiya Godzilla wishes it had. 
The mouth can open and close, while the tongue can move up and down.

The arms can fully rotate and slightly move in/out at the shoulders. Elbows can rotate and bend. Hands can rotate and slightly pivot at the wrist.

Godzilla has waist rotation and his upper body can move forward (something essential to avoid the dorsal fins overlapping) and tilt side to side. 

The legs can fully rotate and move in/out a bit at the hips. Knees have a good bend and the leg can sort of swivel below the knee. The feet can rotate and pivot. 
The tail features 9 points of articulation allowing it to curve back and forth very nicely. 

No accessories. 

Despite being quite skeptical towards Hiya Toys at first, the moment I saw their Godzilla 2019 figure reveal, I thought it looked great and it convinced me to pre-order it. Now that I have it in hand I can say that I love this figure a lot. 
Perhaps more than the SHMA figure. 
I'm quite excited for what the future holds for the Hiya Toys MonsterVerse line, including figures from 'Kong: Skull Island' including a Skull Crawler and the 2014 Godzilla where we are FINALLY getting an articulated MUTO figure!!!
There's even talks of some classic series Godzilla figures coming soon. So not only do I highly recommend this 2019 Godzilla figure, but I also suggest watching Hiya Toys with great interest. 



Till next time, I have been your host Gryphon
and thank you for joining me here in my lair.
So long...


I hope you have enjoyed reading this and if you would like to see more from The Gryphon's Lair, be sure to give my Facebook page a 'LIKE' to see updates and other related stuff. 
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SH MONSTERARTS GODZILLA (1972) | Figure Review

With so many anniversaries of the Showa Era films coming up in recent years, it makes me giddy seeing Tamashii Nations putting effort into m...