Thursday, July 9, 2020

HASBRO POWER RANGERS LIGHTNING COLLECTION - TIME FORCE RED RANGER | Figure Review

As I've mentioned before I am a casual Power Rangers fan and I've been aware of the Lightning Collection line of action figures for a while now. But if there is one season of Power Rangers I absolutely love, it's Time Force! So as soon as I found out they were making a figure of my favorite character from that show, Wesley Collins the Red Ranger, I knew I had to get my hands on it!

Right out of the box, this figure look incredible! 
The helmet appears to be made of a different plastic material than the rest of the body and that helps give it a nice reflective look. The silver line work is done so well it astounds me. The rest of the helmet is sculpted very nicely. There is a dent by the mouth piece which I assume is battle damage.
Out of the box, the head may appear to be pressed too close to the body, giving Wes little to no neck. But you can pull his head up a bit without popping it off to make it look better.


The body looks very good, it doesn't look disproportionate at all. I especially like the sculpted wrinkles in the suit, it gives the figure a nice bit of realism.

The paint work is mostly good. The body has a nice shade of red and the white and silver compliments the red nicely. It's when you scrutinize the figure up close that you notice some goofs.
The white around the triangle is a uneven. This is actually a common issue with the figure and the unevenness of the paint can vary from figure and it is for that reason I decided to not buy this figure online. I went to an actual store so I could pick out which one looked the best.
Also, the silver around the gauntlet does bleed out around the arms.
Among the smaller details like the Morpher and the belt buckle, the paint on the smaller details isn't the best, but I'm willing to let it pass. I do not envy the difficulty the painter of these figures faced while working on it.

Wes' articulation is as follows:
 Head can rotate and move slightly up and down. 

Shoulders can move forward and backward. Arms move up and rotate at the shoulder. Biceps can rotate at the shoulder. Elbows have a double bend. Hands can rotate and bend at the wrist.

The upper body can rotate, bend forward/backward and side to side. The waist can bend very far forward/backward.

Legs can move forward, but not backward. Wes can perform an perfect split. The thighs can rotate. The knees have a double bend. You can make the boots rotate, which I believe makes up for the foots lack of rotation. But the feet can move up/down and has an angled ball joint that lets it pivot.


Wes has a great degree of posability and it can get even better when you add in his accessories.
Wes comes with a closed fist for his right hand and a thumbs up for his left hand.
 And of course, no Time Force Ranger would be complete without their signature Chrono Sabers.
Before I started working on this review, I thought it was weird that the Chrono Sabers were clear. But you're reading a review by someone who watches the source material of the figure he's reviewing while working on said review, which help immensely with getting your facts straight. And I can say for sure that the Chrono Sabers are in fact clear. 
Both Sabers look great regardless and can be attached together as a double bladed weapon. 
Also included is this lighting effect piece (is that why this line is called the Lightning Collection?) that fits right over the blade of either Saber. The piece is made of a soft rubber so you don't have to worry about it breaking in half, but still handle it with care. 
I just wish there was a way the Chrono Sabers could be attached like a pair of clock hands.
Wes also comes equipped with a standard issue Chrono Blaster. It looks ok, the guns themselves have a bit more color to them. But again, small object = hard to paint, I'll give it a pass.
 The other accessory that comes with almost every figure in the Lightning Collection is a head sculpt of the corresponding Ranger character.
This face features a very nice likeness of the incomparable Jason Faunt who played Wes on the show. 

And yes, my DVD case of Power Rangers: Time Force is signed by Jason Faunt himself and I got to watch him do his morph in person. It was awesome!

The only other accessory I wish Hasbro would have added was his big ass V1 cannon.






But lack of cannons and uneven paint applications aside, this figure is amazing. I would highly recommend if you're a Power Rangers fan.
I love that I have Wes, but I cant help but need Jen, Trip, Katie, Lucas and Eric to go with him! And if the Lightning Collection has plans to do the rest of the Time Force Rangers, you bet your behind I'm jumping to purchase them! 



Till next time, I have been your host Gryphon
and thank you for joining me here in my lair.
So long...


I hope you have enjoyed reading this and if you would like to see more from The Gryphon's Lair, be sure to give my Facebook page a 'LIKE' to see updates and other related stuff. 
Thanks for reading!

https://www.facebook.com/TheGryphonsLair/

No comments:

Post a Comment

SH MONSTERARTS RED-EYES BLACK DRAGON | Figure Review

On June 15, 2023, Tamashii Nations announced a new series would be added to the SHMA line, with a teaser image showing a very distinct backg...